Does the Bible contain Errors?Home > Pastor's Blog > Does the Bible contain Errors?
Our Wednesday night topic for August 29th will be a discussion of a recent article from the “Visions” newsletter of the liberal Baptist group known as the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of Georgia. The author of the article was obviously upset that Shorter University ( one of our Georgia Baptist Schools) is taking a more conservative turn. Last year, Dr. Donald V. Dowless, became the new president of Shorter and rewrote their Statement of Faith to include “we believe the Bible… is the inerrant and infallible Word of God.” The author apparently cannot stand the word “inerrant.” He says “it is fair to say that the sundering and destruction of the Southern Baptist Convention could be attributed to the manipulation of this single word– inerrant.” (Note: Inerrant means “without errors.”)
According to the author, the Bible is only “inerrant” as it relates to Jesus Christ. He says “The Bible is not a science book. The Bible is not a history book. The Bible is not a philosophy book. The Bible is a book that tells us about God. Moreover, the Bible never claims perfection for its words. The Bible claims perfection only for the Word made flesh in Jesus Christ.”
What to you Think?
How do you describe the truthfulness of the Bible?
- The Bible is without error (90%, 18 Votes)
- Answers B, C, D, E above (5%, 1 Votes)
- Not Sure (5%, 1 Votes)
- The Bible is without error about God (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Bible is without error except in the area of Science (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Bible is without error except in the area of History (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Bible is without error except in the area of Philosophy (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 20